Monday, September 17, 2007

In Loving Memory - Eveline Beaulieu

It's hard to believe that my Mom has been gone for four years. I wish she could be here to see her grandchildren and great-great grandchildren. She was Grammy to my kids and Meme to so many others. She lovingly made quilts for each of her grandkids and kids. They were made with so much love. She is still sorely missed by so many. Sue and I made a slide show of with her some of her family. This slide show is in celebration of her life. Her birthday is on September 19th. She was a very special woman. We put some of Grammy's pictures of herself when she was little. I thought I would put eight interest facts about her life.

1. She moved from Canada when she was eight in the middle of the winter of 1925. They traveled from Canada to Maine by horse and buggy. She told Sue and I it was so cold. They were bundled in blankets. Some of the kids got frostbitten. It was a long and cold ride.

2.She came from a very large family. There were 16 children of which two died as babies. Among the 16 children were a set of fraternal twins, Ernest and Mathilda. She was the youngest, thus she was the baby of the family. She had eight brothers and eight sisters. Her father took off when she was little and her Mom had to raise her family on her own.

3. Her older sister Adelia was 24 when Eveline was born. There was a huge difference in age. Some of her brothers and sister stayed in Canada since they already had jobs and their own families there.

4. Family was very important to her. She always made sure that her children and grandchildren receive a birthday from her. She stayed in touch with all of her brothers and sisters, either by phone, cards, and letters. She flew a few times to go visit them in Canada.

5. She was a very hard worker. She carried in work and oil for the house to keep it warm. We didn't have furnaces like they do today. She had an old oil burner stove that heated up the kitchen which held a small tank. She had to filled this at least twice a day. We had a wood stove that heated up the other rooms. She would carried in wood. O course we help her but she did a lot of this on her own.

6. She always had a apron on as she cooked. She made many cookies such as sugar, molasses and peanut butter. Aunt Jeanne especially made her new aprons every year. She would wear them out as she used them so much.

7. For Thanksgiving and Christmas she would make her homemade stuffing from mashed potatoes, fried onions, hamburg and seasoning. She would put it all together and stuff the turkey. She always made homemade lemon meringue pie. She sure knew how to cook.

8.One of the hardest decisions she ever had to make was to sell her little yellow house and move into town but once she made that move she loved it. She made many friends at Barker Mills. She would go downstairs to visit her friends several times a day. They would all hang out and talked.



We are all here because of her. Think about how many children, grandchildren, great-great grandchildren there are today. What a lasting legacy she left to all of us. I'm so thankful that she was all part of our lives.

Love always to my Mom for everything she was to all of us. Love, Joan








4 comments:

Doug & Stacy Fournier said...

wow, what a great slideshow! it brought tears to my eyes when i saw the pics of her with my kids, it's hard to beleive that they won't really remember her. you are right, none of us would have been here without her! i still remember getting birthday cards from her every year! her 8 interesting facts were wonderful. you and sue did a great job! it was nice seeing you guys the other night too! talk to you soon.

Joleene said...

You guys did such a great job with that! I miss her so much too and wish Ben could have met her. Love you both.

Proud Grandparents said...

Thank you so much for doing the slide show and the interesting facts about her. We are many good memories and we miss her so much. Some of the pictures I remember but there are many that I have not seen. I also remember not only the faithfulness of her cards but she always was very excited when we would take the time to stop and visit her, especially when we had Latoya and Jordan with us. We will have to make sure that the kids get to know her through our memories and slide shows. I love you! Mary

Linda said...

Wow Aunt Joan thanks for all the very interesting facts about Memere! You know I actually have one her old aprons that she gave me when I was little. I used to play house in it. I will always cherish it forever. I remember her cookies too! Yum yum!! I still have the cards she has sent me throughout the years. I have kept every card anyone has ever sent me. I can't believe its been 4 years. :( The pictures are amazing! She was so beautiful! Thanks-- Love Linda :)